As the culture of remote working continues to thrive in 2023, having the right technology to support this lifestyle becomes increasingly important. At the heart of your home office setup is one essential device: your laptop.
If you’re a professional seeking the best laptop for working from home or a student looking to bolster your online learning experience, this guide will help you navigate the vast landscape of laptops on the market and find the laptop that fits your needs.
From understanding what makes a laptop best for remote work to breaking down the top 10 best laptops to work from home, I’ll ensure you’re armed with the information you need to make the best choice.
Read on to uncover my comprehensive list of the best work from home laptops, meticulously curated to enhance your hybrid working experience and help you work comfortably from home.
While I list some great options here, you might also want to check out my guide on the best laptops for different needs, where I cover a variety of laptops suited for different scenarios.
Top 10 Best Laptops for Working from Home in 2023
Alright, let’s dive into the list of the top laptops:
1. MacBook Pro (16-inch)
A staple on any best laptop list, the 16-inch MacBook Pro reigns supreme as a power-packed device perfect for working from home. With the M1 Pro or M2 chips, Apple promises and delivers a powerhouse performance that can handle everything from simple administrative tasks to demanding creative work.
With an incredible 14-hour battery life, this MacBook ensures you can work comfortably all day without the constant need to recharge. Its high-resolution Retina display is easy on the eyes, making it the best laptop for working for long hours.
- Main Features: Apple M1 Pro or M2, stunning 16-inch Liquid Retina XDR display, and 16GB of memory.
- Performance: The MacBook Pro is incredibly fast and efficient thanks to Apple’s advanced M1/M2 chip. It has ample storage of up to 8TB, making it ideal for large file storage and high-performance tasks like video editing or 3D rendering.
- Why it’s best for WFH: The MacBook Pro offers a seamless work-from-home experience with a long-lasting battery, excellent performance, and a vibrant and sharp display that reduces eye strain during long hours of work.
2. Dell XPS 15
The Dell XPS 15 is an excellent Windows laptop for working from home. Powered by up to Intel Core i9 processors and NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 Ti graphics, this laptop can handle a range of workloads with ease.
The 4K OLED display is vibrant, while the comfortable keyboard, responsive touchpad, and excellent battery life make it one of the best laptops for remote work.
- Main Features: Powerful Intel Core i9 processor, 15.6-inch 4K OLED InfinityEdge display, and 16GB of memory.
- Performance: With an Intel Core i9 processor and 16GB memory, this laptop offers high-speed performance for demanding tasks. It also comes with an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 Ti graphics card for graphic-intensive tasks and up to 2TB storage.
- Why it’s best for WFH: The Dell XPS 15 offers a blend of performance and premium design, making it ideal for professionals who want a stylish yet powerful machine for their work.
3. Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon (9th Gen)
The Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon is known for its robust build, excellent keyboard, and top-tier performance. It’s a fantastic choice if you want a reliable Windows laptop for working from home.
The X1 Carbon packs an 11th-Gen Intel Core processor, ensuring swift multitasking capabilities. It also offers excellent battery life, allowing you to work comfortably throughout the day without worrying about recharging.
- Main Features: Robust 11th Gen Intel Core i7 processor, lightweight and durable build, and 16GB of memory.
- Performance: The X1 Carbon offers solid performance thanks to its Intel Core i7 processor. It also has 1 TB of storage and integrated Intel Iris Xe Graphics, making it capable of handling a variety of tasks.
- Why it’s best for WFH: This Lenovo laptop stands out for its robust build quality, excellent keyboard, and high-res screen, making it perfect for long-term use in a home office setup.
4. Acer Swift 3
The Acer Swift 3 proves that you don’t have to break the bank to get a high-performance laptop for remote work.
This affordable laptop is equipped with the latest AMD Ryzen 7 processor and integrated AMD Radeon Graphics for fast performance. Its 14-inch 1080p display and comfortable keyboard make it an excellent choice for everyday tasks.
- Main Features: AMD Ryzen 7 5700U processor for smooth multitasking, 14-inch full HD IPS display, and 8GB of memory.
- Performance: With an AMD Ryzen 7 5700U processor, the Acer Swift 3 is able to handle most tasks with ease. It offers 1 TB of storage and integrated AMD Radeon graphics for light graphic tasks.
- Why it’s best for WFH: The Swift 3’s long battery life and compact design make it a good option for professionals who value portability and all-day productivity.
5. HP Spectre x360
HP’s Spectre x360 is a high-end 2-in-1 laptop that brings versatility to your work-from-home setup. Equipped with an 11th-Gen Intel Core i7 processor and a stunning 13.5-inch OLED display, it’s perfect for multitasking and even creative work.
The laptop also supports stylus input, giving you an alternative way to interact with your device.
- Main Features: 11th Gen Intel Core i7 processor, 13.5-inch stunning OLED display, and 16GB of memory.
- Performance: The Spectre x360 boasts a high-performance Intel Core i7 processor and 1 TB of storage. It also includes integrated Intel Iris Xe Graphics, offering smooth performance for graphic tasks.
- Why it’s best for WFH: Its flexible design, high-quality display, and high-speed performance make it a great option for creatives and professionals who need a versatile laptop for their work.
6. Asus ROG Zephyrus G14
Who said you couldn’t mix work and play? The Asus ROG Zephyrus G14 is a powerful gaming laptop that’s equally suited for work tasks.
It features the latest AMD Ryzen 9 processor and Nvidia RTX 3060 GPU, which can handle any demanding workload. Despite its gaming pedigree, it maintains a professional look and offers exceptional battery life.
- Main Features: AMD Ryzen 9 processor for high-performance tasks, compact and lightweight design with a 14-inch display, and 16GB of memory.
- Performance: The G14’s AMD Ryzen 9 processor and Nvidia RTX 3060 graphics make it an incredibly powerful machine. It also has 1 TB of storage for storing large files.
- Why it’s best for WFH: Its high-performance capabilities make it suitable for demanding tasks like video editing, 3D modeling, or gaming after hours. Despite being a gaming laptop, its sleek and compact design allows it to blend into a professional environment. The battery life also makes it suitable for a full day’s work.
7. Microsoft Surface Laptop 5
The Microsoft Surface Laptop 5 is an excellent business laptop that’s perfect for remote work. Its high-quality design, comfortable keyboard, and vibrant PixelSense display make it a pleasure to use for long periods.
The laptop also boasts good battery life and comes with Windows 11 Pro, which adds a range of business-friendly features.
- Main Features: 11th Gen Intel Core i5 or AMD Ryzen 5 processor, 13.5 or 15-inch high-resolution PixelSense display, and 8GB or 16GB of memory.
- Performance: Equipped with a solid processor, the Surface Laptop 5 offers fast performance for everyday tasks. Its storage options range up to 1TB, while the integrated graphics ensure clear visuals.
- Why it’s best for WFH: With its elegant design, excellent display, and reliable performance, the Surface Laptop 5 is a great choice for those seeking a balance between style and substance.
8. Google Pixelbook Go
If you’re a fan of Chrome OS, the Google Pixelbook Go is one of the best Chromebooks to work from home. Its lightweight design, impressive battery life, and brilliant keyboard make it ideal for professionals who need a reliable laptop for productivity tasks.
While it may not have the processing power of some other options, it makes up for it with its user-friendly interface and speedy performance.
- Main Features: Intel Core m3, i5, or i7 processor, 13.3-inch high-definition touchscreen display, and 8GB or 16GB of memory.
- Performance: With varying configurations, the Pixelbook Go can handle day-to-day tasks as well as more demanding processes. Storage options go up to 256GB, and the integrated graphics ensure good image quality.
- Why it’s best for WFH: The Pixelbook Go offers long battery life and quick boot times, making it ideal for professionals in need of a fast, reliable, and lightweight laptop.
9. LG Gram 17
The LG Gram 17 stands out for its large, 17-inch display, which provides plenty of space for multitasking. Despite its large screen, it remains incredibly lightweight.
Powered by an 11th-Gen Intel Core i7 processor, it delivers the performance you need for a range of tasks. Plus, it offers an incredible 19.5 hours of battery life, making it a great choice for working from home.
- Main Features: 11th Gen Intel Core i7 processor, massive 17-inch WQXGA (2560 x 1600) IPS display, and 16GB of memory.
- Performance: With an Intel Core i7 processor, the LG Gram provides robust performance for various tasks. It features 1TB of storage and Intel Iris Xe Graphics.
- Why it’s best for WFH: The LG Gram 17 stands out for its large display, providing more screen real estate for multitasking, and its lightweight design, despite the larger screen size.
10. Lenovo IdeaPad Flex 5
The Lenovo IdeaPad Flex 5 is a fantastic choice if you’re looking for a budget laptop for working from home.
AMD Ryzen processors power this 2-in-1 laptop, which provides adequate performance for routine tasks. Its 14-inch touchscreen display offers flexibility, letting you switch between laptop and tablet modes depending on your needs.
Its comfortable keyboard and all-day battery life make it an excellent choice for remote work.
- Main Features: AMD Ryzen 5 or 7 processor, 14-inch full HD IPS touchscreen, and 8GB or 16GB of memory.
- Performance: The IdeaPad Flex 5 offers flexible performance with a choice of AMD Ryzen processors. It also has up to 512GB of storage and integrated AMD Radeon Graphics.
- Why it’s best for WFH: Its versatile 2-in-1 design and touchscreen make it a good option for professionals who want a laptop that can double as a tablet for presentations, design work, or relaxed browsing.
What Makes a Laptop Best for Working from Home?
When you’re working from home, your laptop becomes more than just a device; it becomes your office, your meeting room, and your project hub. Choosing the right laptop means considering factors like processing power, battery life, keyboard comfort, webcam quality, and more.
For any type of work, be it creative work or productivity work, you need a laptop that’s equipped with the right processor to handle your workload efficiently. Intel Core i5 and above or AMD Ryzen 5 and above are typically recommended for most users. For demanding users, an Intel Core i7 or AMD Ryzen 7 is suggested.
If you are planning to use your laptop for basic tasks like internet browsing, email, video conferencing, and office documents, 8 GB of memory will be more than enough. On the other hand, if you use apps with more demanding requirements, like drawing, video editing, and gaming, I will suggest going with 16 GB of RAM.
A laptop with all-day battery life is crucial when you’re working from home. You want a device that won’t leave you scrambling for the charger in the middle of a virtual meeting. Look for laptops offering at least 8 hours of battery life, but the more, the better.
Keyboard and Trackpad
The comfort of the keyboard and trackpad is another significant consideration. If you’re typing all day, you need a keyboard that’s responsive and comfortable to prevent strain. The trackpad should be accurate and responsive, with multi-touch support for easy navigation.
Webcam and Microphone
Your laptop’s webcam and microphone are critical components of your work-from-home setup. With remote meetings becoming a common part of work in 2023, you need a laptop that provides clear and uninterrupted audio and video capabilities.
Ensure your laptop comes with an HD webcam and a decent built-in microphone. If not, you might want to invest in external peripherals.
Ports and Connectivity
Pay attention to the ports and connectivity options on the laptop. Essential ports include USB-C, Thunderbolt 4 for faster data transfer, an HDMI port for connecting to an external monitor, and a card reader for added versatility.
Wi-Fi 6 support is also a big plus for faster and more reliable wireless connectivity.
If you move around often, a lightweight and compact laptop would be more suitable. If you have a dedicated workspace and rarely move your laptop, a larger, more powerful machine might be a better choice.
It’s not easy to pick the best laptop for working from home because every situation is different. Whether you need a powerful processor for heavy-duty tasks, a flexible 2-in-1, or a cheap laptop for everyday work, the answer relies on your needs.
The laptops listed above cater to a wide range of preferences and needs, offering a starting point for finding your ideal work-from-home device.
As hybrid working continues to grow in popularity, having a reliable and powerful laptop at your disposal is more important than ever.
Consider your type of work, necessary software, and other key factors like screen size, battery life, keyboard comfort, and overall performance while making your choice.
I hope the information provided in this article will help you select the best device for you.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ Section)
Q: What are the best laptops for working from home?
ℹ️ A: The best laptops for working from home are those that provide the necessary performance, reliability, and convenience. Some popular options include the MacBook Pro, the Asus ROG Zephyrus G14, and the HP Spectre x360.
Q: What is the best budget laptop for remote work?
ℹ️ A: If you are on a budget, the Google Pixel Book Go or the Acer Chromebook are great options for remote work. It offers decent performance, a long battery life, and an affordable price tag.
Q: Is MacBook Pro a good laptop for working remotely?
ℹ️ A: Yes, MacBook Pro is considered an excellent laptop for remote work. It offers powerful performance, a high-quality display, and a reliable operating system.
Q: Does a laptop need a built-in webcam for remote work?
ℹ️ A: Having a built-in webcam on your laptop is convenient for remote work as it allows you to participate in video conferences and virtual meetings without the need for an external webcam.
Q: Can a Chromebook be used for work-from-home purposes?
ℹ️ A: Yes, Chromebooks are suitable for work-from-home purposes. They are lightweight, affordable, and offer seamless integration with cloud-based productivity tools.
Q: What are the best mid-range laptops for working remotely?
ℹ️ A: Some of the best mid-range laptops for working remotely include Dell XPS 13, Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon, and Asus ZenBook models.
Q: What are the best 2-in-1 laptops for working from home?
ℹ️ A: The best 2-in-1 laptops for working from home are Microsoft Surface Pro, HP Spectre x360, and Lenovo IdeaPad Flex. These laptops offer the flexibility of a tablet and the functionality of a laptop.
Q: What are the key features to consider when choosing a laptop for remote work?
ℹ️ A: When choosing a laptop for remote work, it’s important to consider factors such as CPU performance, battery life, portability, webcam, connectivity options (USB ports, Thunderbolt 4), and overall durability.
Q: Are there any laptops specifically designed for business use?
ℹ️ A: Yes, there are several laptops specifically designed for business use. Some popular options include the Dell Latitude, HP EliteBook, and Lenovo ThinkPad series.
Other Related Articles: